Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mentor Meeting #2

From my mentor I have learned many valuable lessons in business, especially in business communications. Some things I have learned are that it is important to constantly be in contact with your clients and with your employees about what is going on in your business. For example, if you are buying new locations and expanding your business, it is important for everyone to be aware so that they can get excited about the new and fresh opportunities that come along with expansion. Another lesson that I learned is how to communicate, such as when it is appropriate to use memos or letters. Memos are for internal communication amongst your co-workers and employees, while letters are external for clients or stockholders. One job that I have learned about through career beam that I may be interested in pursuing after I graduate is a career in the banking industry. I think I would be interested in this because I love money and banking is a very organized system. I love organization and meeting new people constantly. Also I have considered this career because banking is international and my major is international Spanish and I think it’s a great way to use my major.

During Mardi Gras I want to experience all the parades and the different things this city has to offer. I would like to try to learn what each different float means and why they have chosen each theme. I’m excited to meet new people from out of town and to meet my friend’s friends. I think Mardi Gras will be nothing of what I expect and I am extremely excited to experience this for the first time. During Mardi Gras I want to especially avoid getting in any kind of trouble, but most especially I want to avoid getting arrested. I’ve heard the police are extremely strict during the parades about crossing grounds or jumping the barracks. Luckily I have friends who have been here during previous Mardi Gras so they will be able to guide me along the way. I believe Mardi Gras is important to New Orleans because it is a way for the city to come together and celebrate a long standing tradition that dates back to before Europeans came to the New World. Also I believe that in having a couple days of accept fun and celebration, the city is able to unleash some tension and therefore be a happy placer to live. It is an accepted tradition that I personally cannot wait to experience!

No comments: